April 1, 2015

What We Ate Wednesday #1

So, before I went on my blog hiatus I said I was going to start a series on food. My sister is always wanting different recipes so I decided I would just put them here on the blog. Easy access for her and maybe you can get a new meal idea too! I originally was going to do 'What's For Dinner Wednesday' but when I decided to add breakfast and lunch on there as well, I changed it. I even had a little graphic and everything designed up too but I guess I'll just have to make a new one. :) 

Now, I said a while back that Tate asked me to meal plan for a month so we could just make one large grocery trip and then I could just go back by myself to get the fresh produce and anything we ran out of. I did! And it was actually quite easy. I took to my cookbooks, some of my favorite blogs and Pinterest and meal planned for a 4 week period. When I planned weekly, we would have four meals that we've had before and loved and then I would try at least two new meals. I used that same concept for the month, but decided to try a lot of new things or change up things we already love! I'll share some of our favorites each week. Now, on to the good stuff:

Breakfast

 Strawberry Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls
I only cook breakfast on Saturdays. Every other morning is quick and easy things or I make enough on Saturday to last all week. This one particular Saturday we had a bare fridge and pantry so I decided to take what I did have and make something up. They were delicious! Brylee and Tate loved them! 

Here's what ya need:
1 can of Crescent Rolls
1 cup strawberries - chopped
4 oz cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. sugar
Powdered Sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 375 °

Mix cream cheese, vanilla and sugar together. Once whipped, mix in strawberries.

Roll out crescent roll dough and scoop mixture into the larger end of the triangle. Carefully roll each one up starting with the larger end. 

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. 

Let cool and dust with powdered sugar.

**I had enough of the strawberry mixture left over that I microwaved it a bit to warm it up and I added it to the top of the crescent rolls once they were done before adding the powdered sugar.**

Dinner

Best Meatloaf Ever
Growing up, I never liked meatloaf. My mom would add peppers and onions to it and I hate onions. I would eat it but it was never one of those dinners I asked for. The first time Tate asked me to make meatloaf I called my mom and used her recipe, leaving an end without onions and peppers. Ha! Tate ate it but never asked for it again. Turns out he didn't like it that way either. One day I decided I would try it again and that's when I came up with my meatloaf! I took my moms recipe, added some stuff and took out what I didn't want. Tate, while not even finished with his, asked me to make it again! I call that a win!

This recipe serves 4.

Here's what ya need:
1 lb hamburger meat
1 egg
3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs (any kind work great too)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp season salt

For the topping:
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar

Preheat over to 375°

Spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

In one bowl, mix together dry ingredients and in another mix everything else. Once the meat mixture is finished, add in the dry ingredients. Add to loaf pan. 

Mix together ingredients for topping but DON'T put it on just yet. I always just stick mine in the fridge until it's time.

 Cook for 30 minutes. Remove, add topping, and cook for an additional 15 minutes.  Remove and let it sit for about 5-7 minutes. I paired this with mashed potatoes and corn. Enjoy! 

**Just an FYI.. I'm not saying my mom's meatloaf is disgusting! Ha. It's actually very good minus the onions!**


Pizza Zucchini Boats
This was a new one for us. I kept seeing them on Pinterest and they looked really good. While looking at a picture of one I decided it was something I could make. The first time there was definitely some trial and error but the second time, they were perfect. They were even Brylee approved, and that little girl is super picky! 

This recipe serves 4 (2 boats per person)

Here's what ya need:
4 zucchini 
1 lb sausage
2 cups pasta sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp minced garlic
pepperoni to top
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400°

In large skillet, brown sausage. Add salt, pepper and garlic. Once sausage is finished, add pasta sauce and cook until warm (about 5 minutes). Then add Parmesan cheese.

Meanwhile, cut zucchini in half and scoop seeds out. Place in large casserole dish.

When sausage and sauce are cooked, scoop into each zucchini. Top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. 

Cook for 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Let sit for about 5 minutes. 

I paired this with a salad and garlic bread. Enjoy! 


I hope you got some great breakfast and dinner/lunch ideas from those! Let me know if you try them!
Bon Appetit - Leah :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment